11.17.2009

You've put this love in my heart

"...All these people were still living by faith when they died.
They did not receive the things promised; they only saw them and welcomed them from a distance.
And they admitted that they were aliens and strangers on earth.
People who say such things show that they are looking for a country of their own.
If they had been thinking of the country they had left, they would have had opportunity to return.
Instead, they were longing for a better country—a heavenly one.
Therefore God is not ashamed to be called their God, for he has prepared a city for them."
Hebrews 11:14-16 (the message)

So this is something I've been telling people. Yet, at the same time, I've been trying to grasp it myself. Before these verses, it's talking about the different prominent men of the Bible and how they had faith in God and were delivered. At the beginning of the passage, it's the verse that everybody quotes and thinks pertains to everything: Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see.
But I just had to find out for myself. If I could put my entire life (at this point in time) as applied to the Bible, it would be these two verses. If there's anything that could encourage me more than "For I am with you always; to the very ends of the age", it's these two verses.
And the last sentence..."Therefore God is not ashamed to be called their God, for He has prepared a city for them."
Take for example, the Israelites. It's not like God's gonna say "Hey guys! Go out and wander around in the wilderness until I call you back"
No, no, no. They were pursuing the promise land.
You know how they have that kinda therapy where they submerge a person in their fears so they get over them? I've been thinking about this a lot lately. My brother is going to move out in under a year (tear tear), and Hannah and I have a feud over who gets the room in the basement. It's cold, it's dark, and there's spiders. If you know me, I hate bugs. It's not like I pee myself and roll around on the floor at the sight of a moth, but I definitely get a little speaking in tongues action while trying to catch them. But I think I'm going to take it. Not only because I'd have my own bathroom (YESSSSS!!!!!!!), but because SO many times God has told His people "fear NOT!" Sorry for the random story.
The Israelites wandered in the wilderness. Have you ever heard somebody say "the Israelites went through the wilderness"....no. Wandering. Meandering. It means walking without purpose or knowledge where they're going. God gave them manna. In Hebrew, manna literally means "What is it?" God had to break them of their fears...being in slavery but knowing that there next meal will be supplied by men.
They had to have faith in God to supply their needs. They had no idea what they were doing. In the end, they were led to the promise land. Yeah, while in the wilderness, slavery and bondage was looking preeetttyyy good at that point.
How can I apply this to my life? What could you take away from it?
I don't know what I'm doing. I've left the comfort of ignorance and stumbled into the grace of God. Sure, I long for that ignorance, for that Egypt, sometimes, but when I remember the glory and mercy that I find in Jesus Christ, my faith grows and I imagine that "Heavenly country". It's a country all my own...it's not the wilderness that has been traversed multiple times by numerous people--just the chosen.

I just wish you could get this. I wish you could understand how much He wants that promise land for you. He's PROMISED it! So...I guess that's all I have to say.

"Consider it wholly joyful whenever you are enveloped in or encounter trials of any sort of fall into various temptations. Be assured and understand that the trial and proving of your fatih brings out endurance and steadfastness and patience." (James 1:2-3)


-LL
p.s.- this is the 99th post! WHOA!

No comments:

Post a Comment