9.30.2009

Lord.my.soul.delights

I haven't decided if I'm going to continue the strange punctuation titles into October. It could be just a September thing. I can never think of labels anymore.
But I figure I haven't blogged about homecoming week, so I'll do so right now.
There are a certain few people that I can talk to anytime. I mean, that I'm always in the mood to talk to. They pretty much always make me feel better, and I feel like they genuinely care about me and my best interest.
Right now, there's a little caste system (fourth grade castle times history legit) that goes one to two then on two three. The rest after that are just randomly placed.
So I was talking to Nick, who is in this caste system. He doesn't usually say a whole lot through text (hard to believe with how much he talks, no?) but he always listens. Well at least I think he listens. So I was telling him about how much homecoming week bothers me, just because it's an excuse to be materialistic and skanky. But this year, it seems more and more guys are cross dressing during homecoming week. Like, if they wear little soffe shorts, they're just SO much hotter.
No, you look like Forrest from HelloGoodbye! and I don't want to see your masculine business (or lack thereof). A couple of guys have bent over in front of me, and there are things I don't want to know. I don't know how I phrased that when telling Nick, but he just about laughed his pants off.
Which leads me to something I've learned about myself: If God didn't give me a sense of humor, life really wouldn't be too enjoyable for me. I enjoy God's sense of humor, especially. And I guess I also appreciate people for who they truly are. I'd rather have a truly sad person talk to me than a falsely happy person.
There's a point where we've just gotta stop pretending, you know? It's like the criminals that are being put to trial...when they lie enough, they begin to believe the lie to be fact.
Like....one of the Mercury 7 astronauts. I think it was Gus Grissom, but I'm not sure. The hatch door blew open upon splashdown (landing in the middle of the ocean) and they lost the spacecraft because of it. He swore that it just blew, that he didn't push the button, but every scientific fact went against that. They had tested dropping this hatch on solid concrete hundredsd of times, and this had never happened.
So we believe we're happy, we believe we're not lonely, maybe even that we're successful...when the truth is, acknowledging that lets you enjoy happiness and peace that much more.
The shadow proves the sunshine, I always say.
Switchfoot lyrics are poetry set to the sound of a guitar. SERIOUSLY.
Sure, we're not gonna dwell in that shadow, throw a pity party, and throw ashes on our head everyday, but we can for a little bit. I don't know how many times I've said this, too many, I'm sure, but God lets me wallow in my misery for a few minutes before setting me straight.
It's kind of like when I'm about to get upset, he'll say "Remember how you felt last time? Don't you just wanna skip that?"
And I reply, "Yes God, thank you!" because I KNOW He's right. He's ALWAYS right.
Another thing with homecoming: Dear goodness, it costs some dough!
Tickets, dinner, dress, date, transportation...you easily spend hundreds of dollars.
For my homecoming this year, which I'm looking forward to more than the past three dances I've been to,
it's going to be....hhhhmmmm....at most, $40. Probably more like $20. Which is awesome. I'm pumped.
But why spend money on something I'll be tempted to call "the second worst night of my life"? Because everyone's doing it. That's usually the answer. Because I never have any fun.
I'm done being the one to follow what everyone's doing. I'm finished with having somebody think for me. God's given me a brain, I'm going to use it. God's given me a body, I'm going to respect it. God's given me talent, I'm not gonna waste it! You know? I hope you understand where I'm coming from.
Right now, I'm listening to "Deeper" by Hillsong...which is EXACTLY how I feel right now. I have my seasons of hillsong songs, and "Deeper" and "His Glory Appears" are definitely in this season.

I have a random thought. I was walking next to our homecoming float, which was disney, and "Someday My Prince Will Come" was playing. And I thought about how random Philip is for a Prince's name. Aladdin, Charming, PHILIP. Anyway.

-LL
p.s.- this is my 87th published blog. 13 more and we'll be at 100!!! I actually have 91, including un-published ones...boo.

2 comments:

  1. I definetly think the whole periods between the words thing is for Septembers only.
    I personally think they make what you're going. to. say. really. choppy.
    Who wants to pause to get to the good stuff anyway?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You really... Haha... Should make those titles only a September thing =) I'm sure you can come up with something REALLY creative for the month of October =)

    ReplyDelete