8.05.2009

We're on our knees / we're on our knees

Believe it or not, a lot of my blogs are based on thoughts sparked from a conversation.
Usually just thoughts sparked by something. Movies. Conversations.
These sparked thoughts lead to a song lyric or bible verse. Perhaps even a chapter. A book, if you're lucky! Maybe even the entire Bible!!!
Sorry. Getting ahead of myself.
So I forgot to read my devotional this morning....which I HATE. I like having food for thought during the day. But I'm reading it right now.
You know how some people say God has a sense of humor? I totally believe it. The author of irony, i'd like to say! But I'm reading the book of Job in my devotional.
My favorite verse:
"When Job heard this, he got up and tore his robe and shaved his head to show how sad he was" (Job 1:20)

I hate to say it, but the shaving his head to show how sad he was made me laugh out loud. It's like somebody shows up to school with a shaved head...
"Dude! Hair-cut! Why?"
"I was sad."
I can just imagine them with a frowny face. Okay sorry. I was laughing about this. I was kind of just in a bad mood, but that totally made it better. Maybe when I'm sad I'll shave my head. Perhaps into a mohawk? How awesome would that be???
Anyway. Another thing that just made me laugh. Describing Job's friends:
"They saw Job from far away, but he looked so different that they almost didn't recognize him. They began to cry loudly and tore their robes and put dirt on their heads to show how sad they were" (Job 2:12)
Hey guys, ya know, I just cry. Turn on some Jack Johnson and cry. I think it's much easier than shaving/putting dirt on my head. I can just imagine some guy in a toga sitting in a pile of dirt with it all over his head. In my mind robes = togas.
Dear goodness I'm crazy.
On to my little tidbit of the day. I was talking about Psalms yesterday, and to Psalms is where I will return! But this time to the 91st chapter. Sydney blogged a little bit on this...
but after a long day, I was like "God, please let me get something in this devotional. Let it be inspiring and just what I needed"
Way to deliver, God! It was talking about Job. Which reminded me of David. With both of them, one of the most important people in their lives told them they were crazy. David's wife telling David for praising the Lord so hard, and Job's wife for Job praising the Lord through all of his trials.
What I'm saying-
People aren't gonna necessarily agree with me. Dude, I've learned this already. It's difficult. I mean, I don't know what it's like to have a wife (husband, in my case) telling me that I'm CRAZY.
Back to another point made by my devotional. Psalm 91. The last few verses of it are what gets me. The whole thing "gets me", but it's the butter-cream icing on the perfect cake!
"Because he loves me," says the LORD,
"I will rescue him;
I will protect him, for he acknowledges my name.
He will call upon me, and I will answer him;
I will be with him in trouble,
I will deliver him and honor him.
With long life will I satisfy him and show him my salvation."
-Psalm 91:14-16
I don't think I need to mention "Came To My Rescue". You've heard that enough. I think I'm saying...even though I have those people that can be a support to me, they're not gonna understand where I am most of the time. I've learned that with telling people my dreams...because you get a lot of people that will say "You're crazy". Or for getting a prophetic word, they'll tell me that I suck at singing. But you know, when everything comes to an end, they're not the only Hope for my soul. They're not my eternal salvation. When everyone else has left me, One remains.
I find a whole lotta comfort in that!
Another verse or two that Sydney REALLY hit home in her blog...
"Surely he will save you from the fowler's snare and from the deadly pestilence. He will cover you with his feathers, and under his wings you will find refuge;
his faithfulness will be your shield and rampart."
-Psalm 91:3-5
This reminds me of the image I talked about a few months ago...of a daughter sitting in her Father's lap, crying, yet being comforted. Nothing said, just holding and being held. Like there are no words that could fix the broken heart.
And you're probably like "Dear goodness Leah, why don't you watch the notebook? Maybe sob all over a dead dog."
Then why are you reading my blog, dearest?
Oh gosh. This is a long blog.

There's been something on my mind for a long time. Wanna know what it is? Of course ya do!
With every major guy in my life, I've learned a lesson. With Matt (the senior that now's a jerk), I learned that if I really don't have anything to say, why waste words?
I know that may sound horrible. But Aundi suggested I read Ecclesiastes for otehr reasons, and I came upon Ecclesiastes 3. You KNOW this chapter. Even if you don't know you know it.
In 3:7, it says:
"a time to tear and a time to mend,
a time to be silent and a time to speak..."
I've always been a problem solver. If there was a fight, I would resolve it as quickly as possible. If people were holding grudges against me, I WOULD get to the bottom of it.
Now as I've gotten older, I've realized that people will get miffed at me for little-to-no reason at all. People will talk. From an eternal perspective, does it matter? There are relationships that ended for the better. They died and there's no point in performing CPR. Yet I would try to revive whatever was dead until I couldn't do it anymore. I had so much crap piled up on my mental "to-do" list that it was unhealthy.
So I learned to just let it go. There are things to fight for and there are things that aren't worth it. Right now, I'm talkin drama. Not theatrical, mind you! Nobody will remember what we were concerned about today a year from now.
I'm sorry I'm so random. It's just my thought process. Anyway.
I've been staying up WAAAYYYY too late lately. But I don't think it's just for nothing.
More on that later.

On an even more random note...I love when you guys comment my blogs. I learn a wwwhoooollleee lot!

-LL
20. Watch all of the Star Wars movies...in a row.

2 comments:

  1. Leah, you are amazing! I love how God moves to you and shows you things.

    I love you!

    Apple of My Heart!!

    ~Apple of Your Heart!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Leah, you could work a mohawk... :/
    And I must agree with you, there are certain relationships that aren't worth all the tears. It seems like I've been experiencing that since the first day of 7th grade, and it took me til the end of sophomore year to finally understand that (double :/ )

    ReplyDelete